[OpenWrt-Devel] Status of Siemens Gigaset 604 IL (IL)

Genghis Khan genghiskhan at gmx.ca
Mon Feb 23 01:13:28 EST 2015

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

I have never attempted to fiddle with routers, so I would appriciate
you baring with me through this process

On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 21:18:52 +0100
Daniel Golle <daniel at makrotopia.org> wrote:

> Hi Genghis,
>

> On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 04:16:02PM +0100, Genghis Khan wrote:
> > Is WiFi of Siemens Gigaset 604 IL supported yet?
>
> Wifi (ath9k connected via EBU) works from the PCI side of things,
> the only problem back then was the Wifi EEPROM (and simulatous
> use of the NOR flash, which isn't tragic as NOR is used only
> to store U-Boot as far as I remember...)
>
> From what I remember, unlike most other devices, the EEPROM is not
> stored in a separate MTD partition ("art"), but seems to either be
> built-into the driver on the stock firmware or a file on filesystem
> (which I didn't bother looking for as it would anyway be very hard
> to extract it when migrating from the stock firmware...)
> I'm not sure about that, as it's all years ago and I no longer
> carry the hardware or firmware dumps with me...
>
> I got Wifi working by using EEPROM from another board with similar
> ath9k wifi chip, however, this is not a clean and/or redistributable
> solution to the problem :(
>

> > I'm a Linux user and this isn't my primary router, so please feel
> > free to direct me towards compile instructions and pass any .diffs
> > you might need me to test out.
>
> The board is very similar to
> http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/bt/homehub_v2b
>
> So your best bet is to see how things are done there.
> As by now there are many other devices based on the same SoC which
> also got ath9k and are reported to work, you chances are quite good
> to get things working.

Including WiFi, that is, correct?

> I also remember that U-Boot lacked proper support for the NAND back
> then which left booting via TFTP as the only practical option to
> load stuff back then.
> This also seems to be fixed in uboot-lantiq by know...
>
> I'd be interested to know the results and are happy to assist you
> as good as I can if needed.

How would you like to continue this discussion? (by Email, privately,
or in forum)

--
Ekiga 5 – Progress Report
http://blog.ekiga.net/?p=201