[OpenWrt-Devel] chance to gather info from a high density deployment

David Lang david at lang.hm
Tue Feb 10 16:19:00 EST 2015

I run the wireless network at the SCaLE conference which is taking place next
week. I will be deploying ~50 WNDR3700v2 and WNDR3800 APs running OpenWRT to
support ~3k users in the hotel (details available in the presentation/paper I
gave at LISA '12
https://www.usenix.org/conference/lisa12/technical-sessions/presentation/lang_david_wireless
)

Since such high density environments are fairly rare and hard to get access to,
I want to give the OpenWRT project a chance to gather information during the
show. I will be building the image for this year in the next couple of days, so
I can even patch in additional logging of data if needed. I will be building the
firmware images in the next few days.

I gather syslogs and normal mrtg stats. I also gather the counts of associations
to each ESSID each minute (I use social engineering to steer people to 5GHz by
calling that network 'scale' and the 2.4GHz network 'scale-slow')

It was suggested that I see if I can gather
/sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy*/netdev:*/stations/*/rc_stats and xmit stats
frequently (every 10s or so).

What else can/should I gather?

David Lang