[OpenWrt-Devel] why only hostapd?

Felix Fietkau nbd at openwrt.org
Tue Jul 8 09:47:46 EDT 2014

On 2014-07-08 15:22, smilebef at gmail.com wrote:
> Only hostap work with dfs in AP-Mode?
> This is the last development step here?
> Than is this not rewarding for me.
LOLWUT?

> Bacause:
> Wy this limitation?
hostapd is already required for AP mode. It controls the AP state,
channel configuration, etc.

> Is this necessary?
At the moment, yes.

> I think no.
>
> 1. I think the Hardware has only to disable the channel if Radar is
>    detectet. Right? It works.
> 2. The Software in Userspace has to choice a (ald and new) channel.
> Right? It works only with hostapd!
> 3. We are not bound to honour a standard, that not explicit writen for
> ours application!
> 4. We are only engaged to fulfil the laws of the countries.
What you're writing looks a bit confused to me...

> But why only hostapd?
>
> If the Hardware disables the channel because radardetect, i do not need
> any instance, that tell me wich aplication rules my channels, because i
> can not overide disabled channels by hardware with the software tools.
>
> I think the choice of the channel can also be done by a shell-script
> using iw or iwconfig located in chrontab.
Even without DFS that doesn't work.

> The current situation is in my opinion not nessesary and not
> consistent to ours situation.
Your opinion seems to be lacking quite a bit of background regarding the
design of MAC layer management within mac80211, cfg80211 and hostapd.

- Felix