[OpenWrt-Devel] Moving all feeds to OpenWrt GitHub organisation

Claudio Thomas ct at xmodus-systems.de
Mon Aug 11 03:23:42 EDT 2014

Hi,

On 10.08.2014 19:14, Florian Fainelli wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Le 10 août 2014 09:44, "Etienne Champetier"
> <champetier.etienne at gmail.com <mailto:champetier.etienne at gmail.com>> a
> écrit :

> > > I think making oneself dependent upon a commercial company
> > > without paying it (i.e. without leverage) would be a mistake.
> > >

> > >         Stefan
> >
> > We use git, the day github closes, or asks for money, or ..., we
> move. We dont depend on github, we use it while it's there (and free).
> > In the mean time it helps getting the job done
> >
> > Also paying is no leverage, a contract can be but there are always
> half million clauses, and in the worst case scenario they pay you one
> month back
>
> We already have an infrastructure deployed which is much wider than
> the services offered by github. Surely we had our own administrative
> issues with those machines but they have been sorted now and the
> process is much stronger.
>
> At this point, I don't think we would be getting any advantage of
> using a 3rd party service, but that's just me.
>

> > Etienne

I guess the point of Stefan is not to use github because of github as
webservice and/or company, but to be able to make a pull request
directly and not to make it by wrapping the changes into an email.

Stefan, so far I know (please correct me if I'm wrong), the development
(and commitment) of openwrt is actually made on SVN (passed forward to
GIT) and not directly on GIT. SVN does not have such mechanism like
"pull requests". If it was done fully as GIT-repository you could use
the pull request feature also without using github. "pull requests" are
a GIT feature and not a github feature. One of the github features is
the fancy web-GUI around it :-)

PS: I must confess that sending changes by e-mail is still new for me,
but it is makable :-) If some day a direct pull request would be
possible... That would be very nice.

Best Regards,
Claudio