[OpenWrt-Devel] Moving all feeds to OpenWrt GitHub organisation

David Lang david at lang.hm
Sun Aug 10 17:17:56 EDT 2014

On Sun, 10 Aug 2014, Florian Fainelli wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Le 10 août 2014 09:44, "Etienne Champetier" <champetier.etienne at gmail.com>
> a écrit :

>>> I think making oneself dependent upon a commercial company
>>> without paying it (i.e. without leverage) would be a mistake.
>>>

>>>         Stefan
>>
>> We use git, the day github closes, or asks for money, or ..., we move. We
> dont depend on github, we use it while it's there (and free).
>> In the mean time it helps getting the job done
>>
>> Also paying is no leverage, a contract can be but there are always half
> million clauses, and in the worst case scenario they pay you one month back
>
> We already have an infrastructure deployed which is much wider than the
> services offered by github. Surely we had our own administrative issues
> with those machines but they have been sorted now and the process is much
> stronger.
>
> At this point, I don't think we would be getting any advantage of using a
> 3rd party service, but that's just me.

I agree about the value of having our own infrastructure, but since git is so
powerful, what about making a clone of the feeds on github as well as the
current feeds.

If the original poster is correct and this will generate more patch submissions
from github users, it's a significant win.

If not, it doesn't cost any money and only a small amount of time.

if git wasn't decentralized enough to allow for multiple instances like this, it
would be a much harder decision to make.

some projects that have added a presense on github (or moved there entirely)
report a significant increase in patches, some report no change. For OpenWRT, I
expect that most of the project would see no change, but I wouldn't be surprised
to see some areas benefit.

David Lang