[VOTE] Use GitHub issues instead of bugs.openwrt.org

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 12:01:33 PST 2022

I have already cast my vote (to switch to Github), but I'd like to make an analogy:

We all realize that we have to stop driving cars, long term, for the health of the planet. But even as we continue to make our personal efforts to decrease, we still purchase from BigAuto(tm) and BigOil(tm) because we have lives to live, work to perform, etc. Most of us have chosen not to change our livelihoods to focus on decreasing energy use.

Here's how I see our choice: We could...

- divert energies of the OpenWrt core team to move to/develop an open-source solution, AND find the team members to maintain it long-term
-OR-
- adopt a well-known, well-supported commercial package that does (most of) what we need today, even it might (in the future) do something we don't like

I would opt to go with Github today. At some point in the future, things might "go south" so that we want to move away from Github. That's the time to divert developer efforts toward moving Git repos and bug reports and everything.

In the meantime, we can be productive using the (very good) tools on Github. Thanks for listening.

Rich