[Discussion] Explicitly switch to simple majority for new members

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 15:27:06 PDT 2021

Hello Adrian and all

Just to summarize a few points I have put in the other message and add a
few others:

- Any votes should be considered, either voting for someone new onboard
or any other important topic.  In my view it is a duty and expected of
an active member to vote on all or most decisions, even if their opinion
is abstention.

- Majority of votes should always be of the whole electorate or people
with voting rights, specially when a new member is to be come onboard.
For this type of vote is it necessary that the fully majority cast their
votes in order to not leave doubt a new person that will be able to vote
on future decisions.

- Simple majority is still a majority of all possible voters or whole
electorate. That is to differentiate when a *absolute or qualified
majority (2/3 of the all voters)* is necessary, for example to change
the current rules which is a major change to any institution or project,
probably the most important vote that can happen.
Therefore there is nothing wrong with rule 6in my view. If changed to
what suggested you will open a door to get new members (so people who
can vote and influence the direction of the project), by not necessarily
with the consent of all other current voters. This in my view is risk to
the project and can make it easier for a possible take over depending
how some votes are conducted. Not saying that is easy but makes is
easier for that to happen.
Rule 6 is correct in asking simple majority (50% + 1) and not 2/3 which
is fair enough for each of that cases. If making 50% of only those who
voted then it makes weaker the onboard process of someone that will have
the power to influence the project long term.

- Agree that depending on the vote a minimal time should be given, and 3
weeks that you propose is a significant and more than enough time for
everybody to vote. I would say that 2 weeks is good enough by default
with the possibility of the person who started the vote to extend it for
another 2 weeks should the discussion around the topic requests more
time, but 3 weeks does as well if most think otherwise.

- For other less important decisions that could be a minimal quorum and
that is good so make sure the decisions cannot be taken by a too short
amount of people, but for getting a new member onboard that must be 50%
+1 of all voters (regardless if all voted or not) given the importance
that a new voter may have to the project long term.

Best regards
Fernando