Add contrib/ folder to downloads.openwrt.org

Paul Spooren mail at aparcar.org
Mon Mar 22 19:51:19 GMT 2021

On Mo, Mär 22, 2021 at 16:37, Petr Štetiar <ynezz at true.cz> wrote:
> Paul Spooren <mail at aparcar.org> [2021-03-19 11:22:32]:
>
> Hi,
>
>>  Only full builds should be provided to test possible feautres of
>>  the future: GCC10, SELinux, Full Language Support (NLS), more?
>
> I've thought little bit more about it and got following questions:
>
>  * Who and how is going to decide on such features?
>
>   - first come, first served basis? No need for proposals, any
> acceptance etc.

It should be announced and briefly discussed, whatever makes sense to a
greater audience.

My personal goal is to offer a) SELinux builds via the online image
builder (requires SELinux ready ImageBuilders) and GCC10 and NLS SDKs
to extend the packages.git CI.

>   - where does it stops, when we run out of bandwidth and disk space?
> :-)

Storage seem cheap & we could limit these builds to be weekly rather
than daily.

>   - what about folks with different interests, they would like to
> have glibc
>     based builds for example

If that's of use and considered a core feature of OpenWrt, sure.

>   - would be artifacts signing mandatory? which keys, how?

Signed by a specific key only for that *type*, e.g. GCC10.

>  * Who and how is going to support and maintain this?
>
>   - who could provide such builds? Only commiters?

I'd say for now only committers fed by suggestion of the community.

>   - where/if you can file bug reports etc.

Each of those contribution folders should have a short explanation text
describing how the build is different from official releases. This
should contain a point of contact and issue tracking. I'd prefer not to
use bugs.openwrt.org.

>  * How and when could we remove such builds?
>
>   - no new builds after certain period of time?

Yes, a cron job should delete everything older than, a month?

>   - consider security updates etc.

I wouldn't archive any of it, update weekly and remove once outdated.

> There is probably much more devil details.

Yes...

> Daniel Golle <daniel at makrotopia.org> [2021-03-21 22:16:36]:
>
>>  However, I still see two quite different cases here: When
>> introducing
>>  SELinux support we took great care that enabling SELinux at
>> build-time
>>  really only affecting kernel and kmods, hence we can do just phase1
>> and
>>  provide only IB, SDK and kmods folder for each target (plus a bunch
>> of
>>  symlinks so opkg/IB will use the non-SELinux repos for everything
>>  else).
>
> What about just adding SELinux to !SMALL_FLASH targets and enabling it
> (together with procd-seccomp and procd-ujail) via
> CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
> option?
>
> Then we could probably provide experimental builds as "Experimental
> snapshots"
> on downloads.openwrt.org for !SMALL_FLASH targets, sign them, support
> them
> etc. Build workers would simply first prioritize builds for
> development
> snapshots and when idle they could crunch experimental snapshots.  Or
> we could
> simply schedule such experimental builds every X days or even weekly.

Essentially this means we add a "experimental" branch next to
"snapshots" and "releases/"?
Fine with me. I'd still like to have GCC10/NLS builds for CI, but I can
arrange that on my own.