Add contrib/ folder to downloads.openwrt.org

Petr Štetiar ynezz at true.cz
Mon Mar 22 15:37:51 GMT 2021

Paul Spooren <mail at aparcar.org> [2021-03-19 11:22:32]:

Hi,

> Only full builds should be provided to test possible feautres of
> the future: GCC10, SELinux, Full Language Support (NLS), more?

I've thought little bit more about it and got following questions:

 * Who and how is going to decide on such features?

  - first come, first served basis? No need for proposals, any acceptance etc.
  - where does it stops, when we run out of bandwidth and disk space? :-)
  - what about folks with different interests, they would like to have glibc
    based builds for example
  - would be artifacts signing mandatory? which keys, how?

 * Who and how is going to support and maintain this?

  - who could provide such builds? Only commiters?
  - where/if you can file bug reports etc.

 * How and when could we remove such builds?

  - no new builds after certain period of time?
  - consider security updates etc.

There is probably much more devil details.

Daniel Golle <daniel at makrotopia.org> [2021-03-21 22:16:36]:

> However, I still see two quite different cases here: When introducing
> SELinux support we took great care that enabling SELinux at build-time
> really only affecting kernel and kmods, hence we can do just phase1 and
> provide only IB, SDK and kmods folder for each target (plus a bunch of
> symlinks so opkg/IB will use the non-SELinux repos for everything
> else).

What about just adding SELinux to !SMALL_FLASH targets and enabling it
(together with procd-seccomp and procd-ujail) via CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
option?

Then we could probably provide experimental builds as "Experimental snapshots"
on downloads.openwrt.org for !SMALL_FLASH targets, sign them, support them
etc. Build workers would simply first prioritize builds for development
snapshots and when idle they could crunch experimental snapshots.  Or we could
simply schedule such experimental builds every X days or even weekly.

IIUC that was somehow original intention of CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL. We would need
to make sure, that we're adding features which would allow usage of packages
built with SDK in phase2.

Cheers,

Petr