OpenWrt and GitHub vs. Gitlab

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Sat Jun 12 00:59:52 PDT 2021

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 11:03:54PM +0000, Sam Kuper wrote:
> Add to that the facts that GitHub feeds objectionable amounts of
> metadata to Microsoft, has increasing accessibility and security
> concerns issues (can't be used without running proprietary JavaScript,
> for example - SourceHut is the clear winner on that front), and excludes
> developers from various countries, and I think it's clear that GitHub
> would be a poor choice for any project.  Especially an international
> Free Software project like OpenWRT.  See also
> https://www.fsf.org/news/gnu-releases-ethical-evaluations-of-code-hosting-services
> and https://sanctum.geek.nz/why-not-github.html .

I never managed to access gitlab.com without enabling JavaScript as
they are hiding behind some DDoS-protection bouncers which force me
to identify dozends of bicycles, zebra-crossings, boats and airplanes
before being able to access anything there (and hence also requires
running proprietary JavaScript coming from that bouncer mafia, which
surely also collects metadata about their users).
Somehow this isn't a problem with github, I can always access it even
in Torbrowser, the same is true for Sourcehut.

That being said, I also see Sourcehut as the clear winner and I'm also
against migrating more things to Github.