OpenWrt and GitHub

Paul Spooren mail at aparcar.org
Sat Jun 5 13:20:49 PDT 2021

Hi all,

After a request by some developers in #openwrt-devel I added a
Signed-off-by check (DOC) to our GitHub presence, since it's one of the
most common formal issues. This is a handy piece of CI to waste less
human time in reviews.

Speaking of more CI, it's been two nearly two years since Lynxis and
mine idea to bundle up things to a self hosted GitLab instance rather
than using a wild mix of tooling[1]. Since then some things happened,
but the overall the situation is the same as two years ago. Nobody seems
keen to setup and maintain a GitLab instance for OpenWrt.

Should we stall that plan and reevaluate if a (temporarily) gitlab.com
hosted instance is the better way to proceed?

Next to CI, the issue tracking is a bit of a mess. In theory everything
should go to bugs.openwrt.org, but since it doesn't support a lot of
bells and whistles users distribute their issues to the forum and GitHub
commit comments[2].

Could it make sense to use the GitHub issues rather than Flyspray?
Different from Flyspray the GitHub issues support an API, CLI and also a
way to export issues, unlike Flyspray where it needs HTML parsing or SQL
plumbing.

I'm not a fan to freely promote a commercial service but since nobody is
excited about doing extra administrative work on a GitLab instance, why
not? We relay on commercial entities anyway (e.g. Hetzner) and migrating
a VM from provider A to B might just be as annoying churn as plumping
"old service API" to "new service API".

tl;dr: Use GitHub issues instead Flyspray? Use GitLab.com with some CI?
Do nothing?

Best,
Paul

[1]: