Revising OpenWrt Rules

Sam Kuper sampablokuper at posteo.net
Sun Oct 4 18:15:06 EDT 2020

On Sun, Oct 04, 2020 at 06:57:08PM -0300, Fernando Frediani wrote:
> Nobody is going to judge in his own cause.

That's easy to say, but (without measures to prevent it) hard to ensure.

Suppose some corrupt people become decisionmakers?  Suppose some
formerly-trustworthy decisionmakers become corrupt?  What, then, would
stop them from judging in their own interests against the interests of
the project or its users?  With a transparency requirement, at least the
community would stand a chance of stopping them.

History shows that transparency and democracy are, though imperfect,
among the most effective preventatives of corruption.

This is a Free Software (aka Open Source) project, not a secret society.
Surely it would be in the spirit of the project for key management
decisions to be made in the open, too.

> I mentioned when having to take a decision about another decision
> maker for example, that involves other people or other institution
> with who the project may have some agreement.

I don't see why those decisions could not also be made in the manner
proposed in my original email.

All best,

Sam

--
A: When it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: When is top-posting a bad thing?

()  ASCII ribbon campaign. Please avoid HTML emails & proprietary
/\  file formats. (Why? See e.g. https://v.gd/jrmGbS ). Thank you.