Firmware Selector Setup

Petr Štetiar ynezz at true.cz
Wed Aug 19 06:36:51 EDT 2020

Moritz Warning <moritzwarning at web.de> [2020-08-19 11:24:38]:

Hi,

> the deployment of the firmware selector seems to be stuck

it's in progress[1].

> at the point where someone with access actually need to set it up

Access gives one great power, but also great responsibility :-)

So if I'm going to be the person which is going to deploy that project under
OpenWrt umbrella, I plan to do the following in upcoming days/weeks:

 - rethink the JSON generation
   * we don't need to scrape anything, files are already on the disk, just in different directory
   * are we going to generate separate JSON for every application out there?
     - I mean, wouldn't it make sense to generate something generic, something like:

       meta/json/targets-full-v1.json (complete amalgamation of profiles.json)
       meta/json/targets-minimal-v1.json (just the bare minimum)
       meta/json/targets-images-v1.json (just the images)

       so we've some standard JSONs in predictable locations for consumption
       by whatever out there

   * I know, 260kB is peanuts, but still wondering why we need to have
     everything in one big JSON file? I mean, why not just generate some
     minimal JSON with all names/flags suitable for search and then download the
     complete profile.json once user actually decides to download the file ?

 - make it pass all QA checks currently failing on CI[2]
   * HTML is not valid, that Python script wont run on the downloads server
     etc.
   * this CI stuff is going to help with the maintenance/QA

 - make it official OpenWrt project under git.openwrt.org/web

 - find out suitable automatic deployment of new versions
   * once it passes all checks on CI, make release, deploy the release
     - adding Git tag/hash into HTML so its visible what version is deployed

> Is there something I can do to help out?

Yeah, would be nice to make the CI checks pass. As you might guess, I'm not
HTML/JS guy, so feel free to suggest better tools for HTML/JS linting and
validation. I don't want to start reviewing HTML/JS :-)

1. https://gitlab.com/ynezz/openwrt-firmware-selector/-/pipelines/175117737
2. https://gitlab.com/ynezz/openwrt-firmware-selector/-/pipelines/175117737/failures

Cheers,

Petr