openwrt and lede - remerge proposal

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Thu May 11 09:06:24 EDT 2017

Although I'm not a committer, I'm one of the folks that got the LEDE sites (main, forums) organized and running, I want to second and amplify on Hannu's comments:

1) The current OpenWrt site design does look old - 1990's old. The current dokuwiki theme gives a more modern look.

2) More importantly, the entire LEDE web presence (except for the forums) is contained in the dokuwiki. This matters because it makes it trivial for (admin users) to edit the main page of the site (as opposed to needing yet another set of privileges to maintain the home page.)

3) Putting the home page in dokuwiki makes it straightforward to update a news portion of the home page - people who have legitimate news to announce can send it to one of the dokuwiki admins, who can add it to a News sidebar. (That sidebar is not there now, but would be a good - and simple - addition to the site.)

4) I also prefer the Discourse forum software, because of its many features both for people entering posts (Markdown!), and for its administrative capabilities.

Thanks.

Rich