openwrt and lede - remerge proposal

Hannu Nyman hannu.nyman at iki.fi
Thu May 11 04:03:08 EDT 2017

Hauke Mehrtens wrote on Wed May 10 15:17:37 PDT 2017:

 > On 05/08/2017 03:19 PM, John Crispin wrote:
 > > *) landing page
 > > - update the lede landing page to represent the openwrt name
 > > - update the landing page to have the same look & feel as the current
 > >   openwrt landing page
 > > - point openwrt.org at the lede landing page
 >
 > I prefer the LEDE design, but with the news like content on the OpenWrt
 > page, but I do not really care and will not block the merge about this.

My two cents to the design discussion:

The old www.openwrt.org, wiki and downloads site design is rather dusty and
looks like 1990s.

The "news-like" content of the Openwrt www front page has been problematic
due to the strange reason that the page contains a prominent "Headlines" lift
box for OLD news but not for current news. Right now it highligts e.g.
Backfire 10.03.1 release... Current news items are not listed in the
Headlines-liftbox but just displayed in the wide middle column. But does
anybody really scroll down that long page to find the next current news item
below the topmost one? I have started to complain about that design already
in 2011 so this opinion is not new...
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/10655
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=313132#p313132
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=314276#p314276

I hope that if any news-like content gets displayed on the new front page,
the old design mistakes can be avoided.

 > > *) wiki / forum

Regarding wiki and forum, I prefer the LEDE's design and the LEDE forum's
modern functionality (user targeting, easy picture copy-paste, responsivity
etc.) over the old Openwrt forum. That opinion is based on rather active
forum usage, as based on the number of posts I am currently the #2 poster on
the Openwrt forum and #1 on the LEDE forum.