[LEDE-ADM] License of patches

Hauke Mehrtens hauke at hauke-m.de
Tue Apr 26 13:14:11 EDT 2016

On 04/26/2016 06:29 PM, Ted Hess wrote:
> Makes sense to me.
>
> Patches inherit the license of the source code base they are
> individually applied to and are not, by themselves 'copyrighted or
> licensed', correct?
>
> /ted

Hi Ted,

Please use button posting it makes communicating on the list easier:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Bottom-posting

When a source code is licensed under BSD License and I can add a patch
to it which is licensed under the GPL this is not problem, because BSD
and GPL code can be mixed. The problem is that the result will be
licensed under the GPL, because now the BSD code is a derivate of the
GPL code. If such a patch would be integrated upstream the complete
project would switch to GPL, which is possible without asking the
authors, but often not wanted by the project maintainers.

Hauke