Regarding the real-name-only contribution policy

sudobash418 sudobash418 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 11:01:18 PDT 2024

Hello everyone,

I am new to contributing to OpenWrt, and have recently opened a couple
of PRs against the openwrt repo:
- https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/15684
- https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/15695

I have authored and signed-off on each commit using my username,
`sudoBash418`, as I have for all my OSS contributions in the past.
At the time, the wiki page on submitting patches stated that using a
"known identity" was permitted [1].

[1]:
https://openwrt.org/submitting-patches?rev=1704903503#submission_guidelines

However, I have since been informed that the official project policy
requires a "real name", and that a known identity such as my username
does not qualify [2].
The wiki has since been updated to reflect this policy.

[2]: https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/15684#issuecomment-2172752403

I've now read through:
- The history of the submitting-patches page on the OpenWrt Wiki [3]
- The "Real name vs. known identity in contributions" thread on
openwrt-adm, started 2023-02-27 [4]
- A revival of that thread on openwrt-devel, started 2024-01-10 [5]
- The "here we are again: real name 'discussion'" thread on
openwrt-devel, started 2024-03-26 [6]
- Numerous PRs across the OpenWrt project, including:
     - openwrt/openwrt#14380 ("ci: no longer require real name") [7]
     - openwrt/packages#23084 ("ci: no longer require real name") [8]
     - openwrt/packages#17993 ("[21.02] Bump yggdrasil to 0.4.3") [9]
     - openwrt/packages#23072 ("yggdrasil-jumper: add new package") [10]

[3]: https://openwrt.org/submitting-patches?do=revisions
[4]:
https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-adm/2023-February/002358.html
[5]:
https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2024-January/042058.html
[6]:
https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2024-March/042472.html
[7]: https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/14380
[8]: https://github.com/openwrt/packages/pull/23084
[9]: https://github.com/openwrt/packages/pull/17993#issuecomment-1059783673
[10]: https://github.com/openwrt/packages/pull/23072#issuecomment-2023805052

As I understand it, the question of whether OpenWrt should change its
policy on names to match the Linux kernel's has never been *formally*
answered (via a vote), despite being raised over 15 months ago.

Therefore, I would like to request that the OpenWrt committers hold a
formal vote in accordance with the OpenWrt rules [11], and that they do
so in a timely manner (i.e. not stalling for months without cause).

[11]: https://openwrt.org/rules

Thank you from hopefully a future contributor,
sudoBash418