OpenWrt Next Generation Ideas-User Experience

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 08:05:00 PDT 2023

Thanks Arınç for opening this discussion about improving the development process. I would like to expand the discussion to include what, if any, changes we'd like to make in the user experience for OpenWrt.

The first one I would propose is "Automatic renumbering of LAN in case of conflict with WAN". It uses mDNS (say, "openwrt.lan") instead of 192.168.1.1 for initial connection to the router. The behavior was carefully outlined by @psherman in this forum article.

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/automatic-renumbering-of-lan-in-case-of-conflict-with-wan/115752/51

Making this change would dramatically simplify the "new user experience" (and its documentation) because newcomers would not have to deal with all the subnet information before they can even get started.

My request: I'm not a developer. Is there someone on the list who would be interested to take this on? Thanks.

Rich