OpenWrt Next Generation Ideas

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 07:41:34 PDT 2023

Hello there

I also don't have Notion account so will reply here to all can take note
and discuss. I have basically 2 notes:

1 - One thing that would be interesting to have it by default regarding
IPv6 is make the router to find out if it received an IPv6 address in
the WAN interface but not a Prefix Delegation to be installed in the LAN
and then make it re-configure itself automatically to use NDP Proxy, so
the /64 prefix in the WAN can be used in the LAN. This is specially
useful when users end up connecting a secondary router behind the main
one who connects to the ISP and receives all IPv6 information instead of
configuring this secondary router as as Bridge or AP mode disabling DHCP
Server on it.
There are instructions in the wiki to make it possible, so perhaps it is
just a question to have it by default to happen automatically on these
scenarios. This way IPv6 is not broken up on many of these scenarios.

2 - It was mentioned there is some lack of testers for certain
targets/subtargets. While that may be the case that can be stimulated in
different ways, starting by adjusting the wiki and related documentation
with more information on how to test properly feedback it to
maintainers. There may be many cases where people have the hardware and
is wiling to put the effort but don't know exactly how.
I guess some people may think the only way to contribute to OpenWrt is
by writing code and doing PRs and that is definitely not the case. There
is a fair amount of work to be done to test newer hardware and make it
100% and that sometimes can be a very lengthy and detailed task. If this
can be ease up with information in the wiki and other ways this
ecosystem can certainly be enhanced.

Regards
Fernando