BCM53xx on D-Link DIR-890L - 2MB max problem

Arınç ÜNAL arinc.unal at arinc9.com
Sun Jan 8 00:47:58 PST 2023

Funny Linus thought to mention me since I've been working on booting
stuff on arm and mips boards very recently.

On 8.01.2023 06:18, Chuanhong Guo wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Sun, Jan 8, 2023 at 7:38 AM Linus Walleij <linus.walleij at linaro.org> wrote:
>> I guess trying to figure out what lzma-loader does and implement
>> the same for ARM is the way to go, or at some point I felt like
>> implementing U-Boot for the BCM53xx and implement SEAMA
>
> The ARM zImage is supposed to be self-extracting, right?
> Is it possible to package that as an uncompressed code for
> u-boot?

That's correct, take a look at this answer.

https://stackoverflow.com/a/22338835

> lzma-loader was created at the time when MIPS didn't have
> zboot support. In ramips, the lzma-loader does the same
> work as the kernel zboot image: It's a loader which extracts
> the actual kernel code to the memory. The compressed kernel
> is linked as a part of the lzma-loader so it doesn't need any
> flash access.

Then why is it CFE that tries to decompress the image in this case? This
is what I understand when I look at the log Linus put. It should see the
image on NAND memory as uncompressed and just leave it to the
lzma-loader linked with the kernel code to decompress.

We can add compression information of the kernel for U-Boot with mkimage
but I don't know how it works with CFE.

Arınç