OpenWrt project mirrors on GitHub

Christian Marangi ansuelsmth at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 12:57:50 PST 2023

On Mon, Feb 06, 2023 at 09:43:41PM +0100, Paul Spooren wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> All project from git.openwrt.org are now mirrored over to GitHub to allow further use of the CI and better visibility.
>
> I’d like to get some opinions on enabling Issues (aka GitHub bug tracker). Right now issues are enabled since other “subprojects” like odhcpd and mt76 have their own bugs and therefore their own bug tracking. Some voices preferred to have everything under openwrt/openwrt. What’s your opinion?

For me it would be better to keep everything under openwrt/openwrt for
core packages. Having bugs tracked in separate repo may be handy at
first but confusing in the end. The issue is fixed only once the
package in openwrt main repo is actually bumped.

A problematic scenario may happen with an issue getting closed in the
separate repo as fixed while in reality still present in the openwrt
main repo. (since the package sill has to be updated)

What I'm doing currently is adding the Fixes tag refereincing github
issue only when the related package is bumpend.

> Also I’d block the merge button on all projects like I did for openwrt/openwrt some time ago by requiring “too many” review approvals just so people don’t accidentally merge something on the mirror.

So the idea is to permit pull request also there and give an alternative
to patchwork? Correct?

Ok for me for adding block... I would also set branch protection for
these repo. (but could be already active due to github org policy
already applied for openwrt repository)

> Any other thoughts?
>
> Sunshine,
> Paul