DSA Mini-tutorial

Arınç ÜNAL arinc.unal at arinc9.com
Tue Sep 6 12:25:32 PDT 2022

On 05/09/2022 15:22, Rich Brown wrote:
> Hello Arınç (and the rest of the list),
>
> It's good to hear from you again.
>
>> On Sep 4, 2022, at 5:32 PM, Arınç ÜNAL <arinc.unal at arinc9.com> wrote:
>>
>>   I don't see much content to document DSA. All DSA does is creating a network interface for each switch port. What I think should
>> be properly documented is the Bridge VLAN filtering feature. I have made some efforts to do that on my playground here:
>>
>> https://openwrt.org/playground/arinc9/start
>
> I had not looked at your pages recently but we should make sure all the information makes it out of the playground into the main wiki.
>
> I see that we have slightly different definitions for "interface" and "device" in DSA. Here are the versions:
>
> DSA Mini-Tutorial - Terminology:
> 	https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/dsa/dsa-mini-tutorial#terminology
>
> Playground - Definition of a Network Interface
> 	https://openwrt.org/playground/arinc9/network.interfaces#definition_of_a_network_interface
>
> Because I don't really know about DSA, I don't know how important it is to call an Ethernet switch port a "device" or whether it's OK simply to call it an "Ethernet interface".

I think the term "device" comes from the Linux kernel development.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/networking/netdevices.html

Both terms represent the same thing so it's not a big deal. I'd rather
call it network interface as it's an established term for computer
networking.

It's not the ethernet switch port that I'm calling an interface but
rather, the network interface that DSA creates by utilizing hardware
which is that ethernet switch port. I think I explain this well on the
Network & Network Interfaces page:

 > Network interfaces can be created by making use of physical devices
(a switch, a NIC, a wireless NIC) and/or features of the software (vlan,
bridging, tunnelling).

> How could we start to merge all these documents? Thanks.

I've been planning to do this for a long time. We can just put these two
pages, Bridge VLAN Filtering and Network & Network Interfaces, under a
unified Computer Networking section on the wiki. My two pages are mostly
ready for everyone to see.

The "Networking" section looks like a good place to put DSA Networking
and my pages on.

I believe the Linux Network Interfaces and DSA Mini-Tutorial pages
include great amount of misinformation. Those can be dealt with later.

Arınç