lua 5.1.5 CVEs

Reuben Dowle reuben.dowle at 4rf.com
Tue Oct 25 17:45:41 PDT 2022

I have run into these CVEs during an audit. I looked into the patches linked to them, and it seems that the ancient lua code for 5.1.5 was very different from the code where the patches are created against. When I attempted to manually make similar changes in the code, it seemed to me that the older lua code was probably not vulnerable in the same way. So in the end I just marked these CVEs as not applying to the version of LUA in use.

My opinion is that openwrt should try and move to a newer version of lua. This old 5.1.5 version appears to be unmaintained, and there does not seem to be the resources within the openwrt community to change that.