[sdwalker/sdwalker.github.io] 2bdb42: This week's update

Bas Mevissen abuse at basmevissen.nl
Fri May 13 01:35:24 PDT 2022

On 13/05/2022 01:59, Sergey Ryazanov wrote:
> Hello Jeffery,
>
> On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 2:03 AM Jeffery To <jeffery.to at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 6:26 AM Sergey Ryazanov <ryazanov.s.a at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> +1
>>>
>>> Stephan, may I sincerely ask you to stop spamming the list?

>> As a package maintainer, I want to know that uscan is running
>> correctly. These emails are relevant to me.
>
> Nice to hear that someone is actually using this information.
>
> May I ask why these notifications are directed to the mailing list
> that is dedicated for development talks? Such a notification just
> _looks_ irrelevant to some thread, it is not even a patchwork
> notification or a buildbot warning that is sent as a reply to a patch.
>
>> It would be very simple to set up any competent email client to filter
>> out these messages, if you so choose.
>
> It is a matter of balance. Everyone is happy to read these
> notifications, but someone will not need them and will create an
> automatic filtering rule. Or someone found these notifications useful,
> but everyone else wonders why they received them.

The mail itself is currently not that informing. It is a lot of boiler plate and repetition. Only the link to the actual commit is useful information.

I think it would be a huge improvement to have the highlights of the scan results posted in a nice readable format. A sort of condensed version of the page at https://sdwalker.github.io/uscan/index.html

> Is it possible to reconfigure these notifications to send them
> directly to your mailbox? Or maybe set up a dedicated mailing list? We
> already have the mailing list for commit notifications. I am
> subscribed and quite happy to be informed of development progress this
> way - it saves me a lot of time and does not bother people who prefer
> some other monitoring approach.

This is a development list where the package maintainers and devs hang out, so it is relevant information. Only the current form isn't optimal IMHO.

BR,

Bas.