Switch issues and CI to GitHub

Sergey Ponomarev stokito at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 01:22:41 PST 2022

At least for sure it must be two separate sites: one for code hosting
and one for downloads.
Because it looks like chances to be blocked are higher for the
downloads site than for the source hosting.
For example VPNs and Tor websites are getting blocked in Russia
https://blog.torproject.org/tor-censorship-in-russia/
I think that in many other countries they are already blocked.

On Wed, 26 Jan 2022 at 09:01, Sam Kuper <sampablokuper at posteo.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 09:45:52PM +0200, Sergey Ponomarev wrote:
> > Well, we may *speculate* and try to minimise risks but that's what I
> > tried to say: it's counterproductive.
>
> Avoiding unnecessary risks is productive.  It's one of the ways in which
> projects and organisations stay afloat.
>

> > At least GH is big enough so that it can protect its users [...] Now
> > imagine that OpenWrt or SourceHut or whatewer website will be blocked.
> > Who will try to dispute?
>
> That is a mischaracterisation.
>
> AFAICT, GitHub is not (in general) blocked *by* Crimea.
>
> Rather, GitHub itself blocks users *in* Crimea (i.e. connecting from
> Crimea) from using *some* GitHub features:
> https://docs.github.com/en/github/site-policy/github-and-trade-controls#what-is-available-and-not-available
>
> GitHub is not "big enough" to protect users *from GitHub itself*, nor
> (given that it is headquartered in the USA) *from US Law*.
>

> > But hey, the GH CEO Nat Friedman even, while being a jew, personally
> > worked hard to unblock GH in Iran
> > https://github.blog/2021-01-05-advancing-developer-freedom-github-is-fully-available-in-iran/
>
> Again a mischaracterisation.
>
> That issue didn't relate to GitHub being blocked *by* Iran.
>
> Rather, GitHub previously blocked users *in* Iran (i.e. connecting from
> Iran) from using some or all GitHub features.
>

> (BTW, Nat Friedman isn't GitHub's CEO anymore:
> https://www.theregister.com/2021/11/03/github_ceo_quits/
>
> Also, I'm not sure he's Jewish, nor why that would be relevant.)
>

> > I just want to say that I personally agree with this concern and still
> > for me it looks like GH is at least not a worse option even from this
> > point of view.
>
> Codeberg and SourceHut both seem to be better than GitHub on this front.
>

> Best wishes,
>
> Sam
>

> --
> A: When it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: When is top-posting a bad thing?
>
> ()  ASCII ribbon campaign. Please avoid HTML emails & proprietary
> /\  file formats. (Why? See e.g. https://v.gd/jrmGbS ). Thank you.

Sergey Ponomarev,
stokito.com