Status of source-only targets

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Tue Jan 11 10:42:32 PST 2022

> On Jan 10, 2022, at 3:55 PM, Paul Spooren <mail at aparcar.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Looking at openwrt.git I find seven targets with the source-only tag. The tag means the build infrastructure skips building the targets. Does it make sense to carry those target in tree or should we move them to our target archive?
>
> - lantiq/falcon
> - oxnas/ox810se
> - malta/le64
> - malta/le
> - malta/be64
>
> Those two targets are fairly new and likely “not fully ready yet”, do we track progress somewhere?
>
> - bmips
> - qoriq
>
> Thanks for all further comments!
>
> Best,
> Paul

Hey Paul,

This may be slightly off-topic, but I remember sometime back moving something (xtables-addons I think it was) from openwrt/ to packages/ and having to go through about 11 steps to copy it over and preserve the edit-history.  Jo-Philipp was very helpful in making sure it went right, btw.  Thanks, dude!

It was a little daunting, and the potential for screwing it up was huge (there were multiple branches that needed to be moved over, for instance, not just "master" of course).

I think that if we had tooling to make moving things between repos (while preserving metadata) would make this an easier decision to make, as we'd have more confidence in the process.

I like the idea of putting more platforms in the targets/ repo and "promoting" them to openwrt/ when they become stable (and perhaps "demoting" them back to some other repo, or a "deprecated" branch of targets/ when they become obsolete).

Maybe someone with strong git-fu could throw together the tooling?

I'd do it but it's been too long since I went through the process and I'd probably get it wrong at this point.

What do you all think?

-Philip