Best VSDL modem-router to target?

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sun Jan 9 16:46:37 PST 2022

On Mon, 2022-01-10 at 10:41 +1100, Mathew McBride wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2022, at 10:14 AM, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > On Wed, 2022-01-05 at 18:05 -0700, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> > > Have you looked at the Traverse Geos2?
> >
> > That's kind of dated now (ADSL2+ only).... but Traverse seem to
> > have a
> > new toy now:
> >
> > https://traverse.com.au/products/ten64-networking-platform/
> > And it has an external VDSL board:
> > https://traverse.com.au/hardware-4.html
> >
> > Looks like the VDSL is a standalone device much like the Solos card
> > which they integrated into the Geos.
>
> Indeed, the Geos has been out of production for several years now.
>
> We don't have a dual DSL product anymore as most of the use cases for
> dual-DSL have shifted to DSL+5G or even dual-5G instead.
>
> Our VDSL card is just a Lantiq/MaxLinear GRX gateway with an Ethernet
> uplink to host.

Is that a GRX300, with VRX318?

Wonder what it would take to get OpenWrt running directly on it :)

> It's not possible to construct a something that functions like the
> Solos/Geos with modern DSL chipsets.

Is it not possible to have a VRX518 transceiver alone on a PCIe card?
Is it that you can't *get* them as discrete PCIe devices, or that they
wouldn't work like that?

> (Except maybe if you can get the VRX PCIe phys working on plain
> OpenWrt. I believe others have tried and not succeeded yet)

We do have native VRX200 support, and there's progress on VRX518 too,
which looks like it's working for many users although it isn't merged
yet.

While we dream about that, though, having the VDSL bridged to Ethernet
by an internal "black box" PCIe device instead of having to use an
external modem is still a big win.

Are your VDSL cards available for purchase? I'm tempted to go buy a
Ten64 right now and see if I can help with upstreaming the OpenWrt
support, if I can get a VDSL card too.