IP-PBX users?

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Thu Jan 6 09:14:00 PST 2022

> On Jan 5, 2022, at 8:56 PM, Bruce Ferrell <bferrell at baywinds.org> wrote:
>
> On 1/5/22 4:09 PM, Philip Prindeville wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Happy New Year.
>>
>> Anyone out there using Freeswitch or Asterisk on their firewall as an IP-PBX?  I've not had to set one up in ages and I'm wondering what works well these days.
>>
>> I have AstLinux running on an Soekris Net5501 but it's about to die... Plus I'd really rather just have a single box that does everything...  Plus it's still running Asterisk 1.8.6.0.
>>
>> I have a single /32 that's routable, and I NAT behind it.  My phones are Sipura SPA942's and SPA504G's (2 each).
>>
>> Anyone have documentation on getting started?
>>
>> Or strong arguments to use Freeswitch over Asterisk or vice versa?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -Philip
>
> My personal preference is Asterisk.
>
> I always disliked the XML flat files Freeswitch uses (used?), I'm not thrilled by the Asterisk key/value flat files. And I have a soft spot for a database based configuration like the Asterisk Realtime configuration. Yes, there are many PHP based web UIs for both to make the configuration chores "easier", but I hate them for reasons too numerous to enumerate here.
>
> Just my opinion.  Worth what you paid for it.
>
> -Bruce

I don't think you need to enumerate...  "PHP" covers it all for me.

If I wanted to create a language that was for people who had never taken a programming course in their lives, and had an endless list of CVE's for the enjoyment of hackers, I would have called it "PHP".

But... I'm a security programmer, so I dislike weakly typed languages.

-Philip