[RFT] Kernels for next release

Robert Marko robimarko at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 05:30:33 PST 2022

On Sat, 1 Jan 2022 at 14:24, Hauke Mehrtens <hauke at hauke-m.de> wrote:

> On 12/31/21 6:49 PM, Paul Spooren wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Kernels for the next release are looking pretty good; except for six targets we got everything running on 5.10! Thanks to everyone who contributed and tested!
> >
> > The following five target support Kernel 5.10 and need testing:
> >
> > - ath25
> > - bcm63xx
> > - layerscape
> > - octeon
> > - octeontx
> >
> > If you own the targets hardware please consider testing the new Kernel and report back! There is an overview on GitHub[1] linking all PRs. If you don’t use GitHub please respond to this email. Kernel 5.10 is a hard blocker for the next OpenWrt release.
> >
> > Only arc770 lacks Kernel 5.10 support. I’m in contact with people working on it, patches should be available soon.
> >
> > Since arc770 hardware is a bit rare we lacked proper testing in the past. In case there would be any *free* demo hardware available, would anyone be interested in working and testing arc770?
> >
> > Apart from that, happy new year to everyone!
> >
> > Sunshine,
> > Paul
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/aparcar/openwrt/issues/15
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> Thank you for the update and keeping track.
>
> I would be fine to remove the arc770 and the ipq807x targets.
> There is no hardware available on the consumer market supported by
> arc770 and I think archs38 is the successor anyway. If someone wants to
> add support for real hardware using ARC CPUs later it can be added again.
> ipq807x is only a stub and does not work anyway, there are some
> development branches with actual ipq807x support, but people want to
> wait for kernel 5.15 first.

Hi Hauke,
I am doing the work on ipq807x,
I am fine with dropping the target as it's currently nothing more than
a placeholder.

It's progressing nicely under 5.15 as I gave up on completing the 5.10
port since it
became a mess so I am waiting for 5.15 support to make a PR.

Still need to figure out wired networking support for it as currently,
we are using
Qualcomm SSDK + NSS-DP and the rest for it.

Is there any timetable for the next release so that generic 5.15 can land?

Regards,
Robert