[RFT] Kernels for next release

Hauke Mehrtens hauke at hauke-m.de
Sat Jan 1 05:23:54 PST 2022

On 12/31/21 6:49 PM, Paul Spooren wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Kernels for the next release are looking pretty good; except for six targets we got everything running on 5.10! Thanks to everyone who contributed and tested!
>
> The following five target support Kernel 5.10 and need testing:
>
> - ath25
> - bcm63xx
> - layerscape
> - octeon
> - octeontx
>
> If you own the targets hardware please consider testing the new Kernel and report back! There is an overview on GitHub[1] linking all PRs. If you don’t use GitHub please respond to this email. Kernel 5.10 is a hard blocker for the next OpenWrt release.
>
> Only arc770 lacks Kernel 5.10 support. I’m in contact with people working on it, patches should be available soon.
>
> Since arc770 hardware is a bit rare we lacked proper testing in the past. In case there would be any *free* demo hardware available, would anyone be interested in working and testing arc770?
>
> Apart from that, happy new year to everyone!
>
> Sunshine,
> Paul
>
> [1] https://github.com/aparcar/openwrt/issues/15

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the update and keeping track.

I would be fine to remove the arc770 and the ipq807x targets.
There is no hardware available on the consumer market supported by
arc770 and I think archs38 is the successor anyway. If someone wants to
add support for real hardware using ARC CPUs later it can be added again.
ipq807x is only a stub and does not work anyway, there are some
development branches with actual ipq807x support, but people want to
wait for kernel 5.15 first.

What about uml, it is still on kernel 5.4?

Hauke