question to block mount/umount

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Wed Dec 14 19:44:52 PST 2022

On Wed, Dec 14, 2022 at 07:00:40PM -0800, B wrote:
> On 12/14/22 05:45, e9hack wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm build OpenWrt with additional sub directories in /mnt.
> > /etc/config/fstab contains an entry, to mount an usb drive to /mnt/1. If
> > I execute 'block umount', the usb drive will be unmount and the
> > subdirectory 1 in /mnt will be removed. Removing of the sub directory,
> > is this the expected behaviour?
>
> This is not the way the mount command typically works on most unix-like
> systems. In that respect, it's unexpected. You are not wrong to be perturbed
> here.

If that's what you want to do, OpenWrt will act just like any other
UNIX-like system out there. Just use the 'mount' and 'umount' commands
then, you may also use /etc/fstab, of course.

OP was asking about the 'block umount' command, which is anyway
specific to OpenWrt, and used for specific use-cases such as
automatically creating mountpoints, automatically mounting devices on
insertion, unmounting them on removal, ...
It is configured in /etc/config/fstab (and *not* /etc/fstab).

> Why OpenWRT needs to be different is for someone else to explain, because I
> don't know.

Also with regard to top-posting OpenWrt is not that different from
most other UNIX-related communities. Just don't do it ;)