Upstreaming mac80211 patches?

Nick vincent at systemli.org
Wed Dec 14 09:04:40 PST 2022

Lately, I had to look at some mac80211 patches and I did not understand
why some patches are still present or not upstreamed. What about
upstreaming some of the mac80211 patches or removing some?
For example "120-cfg80211_allow_perm_addr_change.patch" from 2014 I did
not find it on typical mailinglist
(https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/blob/master/package/kernel/mac80211/patches/subsys/120-cfg80211_allow_perm_addr_change.patch)?
For ath9k we have 28 patches. Some of them are only for changing
"channel bandwidth to 5/10" (so not 20 or 40 bw included). I guess that
is legacy?
https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/commit/9f38d4402bede0c35bb8f4814e577dc0b0a2f184
And some were rejected upstream
(https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/blob/master/package/kernel/mac80211/patches/ath9k/354-ath9k-force-rx_clear-when-disabling-rx.patch):
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/patch/20180723160300.58024-3-nbd@nbd.name/

These are just some examples. However, I think it would be beneficial to
get closer to upstream mac80211 again?

Bests
Nick