Question about qca8k dsa driver and path to follow

Ansuel Smith ansuelsmth at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 10:44:44 PDT 2021

> > Is there any situation where the user would need to decide whether DSA or
> > swconfig should be used, assuming both are working? A kmod may be
>
> Just a side note on this:
> Having a user choice between drivers should not be a development goal by any
> means here.
> If it happens "by accident" due to other changes, there is nothing to say
> against it.
> But experience tells it's hard enough to properly support one configuration,
> so we definitely should not invest work in providing a choice here just for
> its own sake (always referring to different drivers on a single device, of
> course).
>
> Best
>
> Adrian

I see your point. Anyway with some early test it looks like having both the
qca8k driver and the swconfig driver cause some slowdown as the
swconfig driver is init unconditionally (no compatible check) and try to probe
and wait for a timeout in scanning the switch. So with the introduction of qca8k
for a target we will have to drop the swconfig driver totally or slowdown (that
looks like stall) will occur.

Anyway the basepatch pr is having positive effects and we tested that on a ath79
device with positive results (only one problem with vlan that was
caused by a bad
configuration)