Question about qca8k dsa driver and path to follow

Stefan Lippers-Hollmann s.l-h at gmx.de
Wed Sep 8 17:04:54 PDT 2021

Hi

On 2021-09-07, Ansuel Smith wrote:
> I am writing this to ask for some help/direction on what path we
> should follow for
> the qca8k driver. I currently have a pr open [1] to migrate ipq806x to
> dsa driver
> (qca8k) but some other devs reported that the same switch is also used by other
> targets. (ath79, bcm53xx)
> It was suggested to move the entire patchset for qca8k to generic
> patch dir and start
> and adding the required patch to make qca8k work on the other target.
[...]

I'm not really in a position to give advice, but -imho- unless those
other targets have at least proof-of-concept code for using qca8k on
their devices /working/ and an intention to migrate to DSA for these
devices within reasonable time frame, I personally wouldn't overthink
this (yet).

There is no problem with adding these patches for ipq806x first, and then
moving the patches from ipq806x to generic later, when there is something
tangible for ath79 or bcm53xx (as part of their PRs/ patch series to
migrate from swconfig to qca8k).

Regards
	Stefan Lippers-Hollmann