Deprecate snort in favor of snort3

Eneas U de Queiroz cotequeiroz at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 14:46:37 EST 2021

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 3:45 PM W. Michael Petullo <mike at flyn.org> wrote:

> OpenWrt provides two snort packages: snort and snort3. Now that snort3 is
> out of beta, I would like to consider deprecating the snort package. One
> difficulty of maintaining both packages is that a different version of
> the libdaq package is required for each. The two versions cannot coexist,
> and this make build-server builds fail.
>
> I do not know how popular the snort package is. I use snort3.
>
> Is dropping snort advisable? If so, what is the procedure?
>
> --
> Mike

I was about to open a PR to have each version of libdaq installed into
its own directory, which would take care of the build failure.
However, I think removing the snort3 package, then bumping the stable
snort to the latest version is the best way to go.  I would not leave
the version number as part of the package name.  If you want to keep
this status quo a little longer, tell me and I'll open the PR.
BTW, I don't use the packages, I was just going to fix the build failure.

Cheers,

Eneas