OpenWrt add dependency to swig for U-Boot builds

Hauke Mehrtens hauke at hauke-m.de
Sun Jan 31 13:43:42 EST 2021

The U-Boot build for more and more SoCs is using binman by default to
combine the images (SPL, U-Boot, ...). Binman is build from the U-Boot
project and it needs swig to build. We have multiple patches in OpenWrt
to remove this dependency from U-Boot, but it costs more and more time
to revert back to the old code. We have them in sunxi and rockchip
U-Boot, the Mediatek U-Boot build failed some time ago because of
missing swig in build bots.

I was just trying to update sunxi U-Boot to 2021.01 and the binman usage
changed again, so it needs more adaptations.

Building swig in OpenWrt tools will not be easy. We needs swig with
python bindings and this version needs the python development headers to
build.

I would like to add swig as an official dependency to OpenWrt, we could
make it depend on the target if this is possible.

Does anyone have an opinion on this topic?

Hauke