[OpenWrt-Devel] fstools mount_root on a non OpenWrt system

Robert Marko robimarko at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 17:08:16 EDT 2020

Hi,
I am trying to utilize fstools mount_root to enable using UBIFS RW overlay
on top of SquashFS on a non OpenWrt based embedded system.

I have used a shell script as the init process that mounts /proc and then
executes mount_root and after that is done calls /sbin/init so systemd will
then be PID1.

Unfortunately, when calling mount_root from the script will cause:
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x00000000

Are there any other kernel config requirements other than OverlayFS?

I went through the preinit and I can't find anything relevant other than
simply calling mount_root there.

Thanks
Robert