[OpenWrt-Devel] Migration in ath79 for swapped ethernet

Jeffery To jeffery.to at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 13:01:23 EST 2020

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 11:48 PM Adrian Schmutzler <mail at adrianschmutzler.de>
wrote:

> I do not really see a viable/desirable option to support eth migration at
> the
> moment. And I'm not really a fan of adding lots of migration stuff which
> spoils
> the new ath79 target already, so after all I think I also do not _want_ to
> add
> eth migration either.

(I should first say that I don't know enough about the ar71xx-ath79
migration to know if this idea will work, but I don't recall seeing it
mentioned before.)

What if we add a migration package for 18.06 that ar71xx users can opt-in
and install, which (when the user initiates the process) will migrate their
config and perform an upgrade to 19.07 (ath79)? Their config would be
broken for 18.06 after the first step, but if the sysupgrade completes
successfully then their config works for 19.07 after the reboot. (Would be
nice if there is a way to roll back the config changes if the sysupgrade
fails.)

This is perhaps a variation of the transition image idea from Peter Geis,
but this would be less intrusive to the overall upgrade process (at least
for me).

Jeff