[OpenWrt-Devel] EU feedback on "Upload of software on radio equipment"

Dave Taht dave at taht.net
Thu Mar 7 04:31:31 EST 2019

Eric Luehrsen <ericluehrsen at gmail.com> writes:

> On 3/4/19 6:35 PM, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The European commission asked for feedback on the Radio Equipment
>> Directive (RED) regarding the restrictions on "Upload of software on
>> radio equipment"
>>
>> I posted here a comment in the name of the OpenWrt project:
>> https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/better-regulation/initiatives/ares-2018-6621038/feedback/F240894_en?p_id=380919
>> The deadline for comments was 4. March.
>>
>> Thank you for the help and also the others who posted feedback to the
>> European commission.
>>
>> More details can be found here:
>> https://fsfe.org/activities/radiodirective/
>>
>> Hauke
>
> Historical Reference
>
> US FCC attempted a similar thing a few years ago and it received some
> backlash. They chose to revise the interpretation instructions for
> the rule. Although a regulation (FCC rule) is flexible and less
> worrisome. Bad legislation can hang around for a long time.
>
> FCC NPRM:
> https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-15-92A1.pdf
> FCC Informal News:
> https://www.fcc.gov/news-events/blog/2015/11/12/clearing-air-wi-fi-software-updates
> FCC Revised Interpretation:
> https://apps.fcc.gov/kdb/GetAttachment.html?id=zXtrctoj6zH7oNEOO6De6g%3D%3D&desc=594280%20D02%20U-NII%20Device%20Security%20v01r03&tracking_number=39498
> Credible Response:
> https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/60001333550.pdf

I appreciate y'all citing that ex parte brief of mine to the FCC.  I
have not been paying much attention to what's going on in the EU of
late, and would appreciate a brief on what's happening there now.

I will be at netdevconf and IETF in prague march 16th-31st, and still
have a few spare bunks on the houseboat if anyone going needs a place to
crash. Otherwise, I could make a detour to berlin, afterwards.