[OpenWrt-Devel] Pending ath79 issues on ar9342 and 4.14/4.19 kernels

Weedy weedy2887 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 19:07:19 EST 2019

On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 at 19:26, Petr Štetiar <ynezz at true.cz> wrote:

> Hi,
Happy new year!

> this is more like my todo list shared with 蝈蝈 (Guo), but I hope, that I
> could get some inputs from others as well.
I'm tagging along with the subject not specifically the points you made.
I hope this isn't a problem. And I'm not trying to imply you have to fix these.
I'm just a end user.

5. A general performance loss going from ar71xx/4.9 to ath79/4.14
I used to be able to rsync stuff 7-10MiB/s over WiFi and now I'm at
4-6MiB/s (5ghz, 2.4ghz has always been crowded and shit)
And I swear sysupgrade/rebooting takes longer now. That said the
network fastpath stuff does seem to work so that's a win for wired.
This does give me an excuse to update to all PoE AC equipment, but I'm
still sad to see perf get worse over time.

6. Uptime is terrible. This is arguably my biggest problem with ath79.
I am the families tech support so I need WiFi to always "Just Work
(TM)" and it doesn't do that any more.
This might be your #4, I haven't been really able to catch it in the act.
But I'll come home and notice my box(es) have rebooted, or I'll be in
another corner of the house and WiFi completely stalls for minutes.
I have some self healing magic on my boxes so they are either panicing
or my script sees they aren't passing traffic and ifdown/ifup
something or forces a reboot.
I had some crap in notepad that I forgot to send to the list last
month but "NETDEV WATCHDOG" sounds familiar.

As an aside because of the new year, I'd like to thank all OpenWRT
devs for their continued service.
I've been using it since before the WR 0.9 release. And I hope I'm
able to keep using it until the heat death of the universe.