[OpenWrt-Devel] [RFC 0/9] Using the mainline mtk-eth-soc driver for MT7621

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Thu Oct 18 07:17:49 EDT 2018

René van Dorst <opensource at vdorst.com> writes:

> Hi Bjørn,
>
> I was also working on this. 2 months ago.
>
> I also could not get 2nd GMAC to work with the external phy.
> See also my last commit https://github.com/vDorst/openwrt/commit/bf599736920cffa93ca29c455f933acdd12010ed
>
> But using port 5 of the switch is a good start.
> This makes port usable.
>
> I hope that we can collaborate, I want to pick it up again.
>
> So that I can my Ubiquiti ER-X-SFP.

Yes, I remember seeing that.

I'm afraid this is way over my head.  My understanding of the MT7621 SoC
and the different hardware configurations is limited.  IIUC there are
basically two ways to connect the 2nd CPU GMAC:
 1) by RGMII to something outside the SoC
 2) to a port on the SoC internal switch, similar to the 1st GMAC

What I have been able to get working is 1).  I have not experimented
with 2).  But I guess that is what you want, since the SFP is connected
to the switch on the ER-X-SFP?

This is probably related to the magic register settings I had to disable
to get my device working.  I assume the real fix is to make the driver
DTRT based on the DTS.

Not sure I have the correct picture of the MT7621 though. Either I am
stupid or this is explained confusingly in the docs I've seen...  A
little of both probably.

Bjørn