[OpenWrt-Devel] OpenWrt Roadmap

David Lang david at lang.hm
Mon Nov 12 16:53:11 EST 2018

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018, Alberto Bursi wrote:

> I quite frankly don't believe it's worth allocating what limited manpower
> there is. While I'm not a OpenWrt developer and I don't speak on behalf of
> the project, I really believe that you are underestimating the effort
> required behind even a basic LTS release like a "only core packages" or such.
> I think that if translated into man-hours (and therefore money) it would
> amount to much higher than just letting devices go EOL and have people
> replace them.

I think it would make far more sense to see if it is possible to define a more
minimalistic build that will work on these lower spec devices.

Possibly talk to the LUCI project and see if there is a way that you could have
LUCI run in a VM on your desktop and access the configs on the router via SSH or
something like that so that we can drop off the overhead of the large GUI on the
small devices.

Trying to backport 'critical fixes' to an old version (especially a version 3+
years old) is just not going to work. Even the "Enterprise" distros do a
horrible job with that, and they have very large teams working to do so.

David Lang