[OpenWrt-Devel] Images are too big in LEDE but not in OpenWRT

Sven Eckelmann sven.eckelmann at openmesh.com
Fri Feb 9 03:22:30 EST 2018

On Freitag, 9. Februar 2018 09:05:02 CET Sven Eckelmann wrote:
[...]
> > In OpenWRT 15.01 we are building 7.3MB large images and have just
> > enought space for configs.
> > In LEDE 17.01 is max size ~6.5MB and we are not able to build our
> > images, because we cannot strip more packages, now we are on 6.8MB.
>
> Why do you think that you are now using only 6.8MB? The fw_max_len for 8Mlzma
> devices is 8126464 bytes in mktplinkfw.c. So your final image would be 8376020
> bytes large and thus it is rejected by mktplinkfw.
[...]

Btw. the image sizes in mktplinkfw also include the reserved space of
262144 bytes. See the option -X in Build/mktplinkfw [1]. My use of the term
"final image" might therefore be a little bit misleading - it is just the size
which mktplinkfw calculates including the reserved space. But this hasn't
changed since Chaos Calmer [2].

And I just saw that Matthias Schiffer also integrated his ar71xx target in
OpenWrt. So you might want to check his patch [3] to get a little bit inspired.

Kind regards,
	Sven

[1] https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/blob/9a08c104e2f2418f580f4ef218d890ea768f7a23/target/linux/ar71xx/image/common-tp-link.mk#L32
[2] https://github.com/openwrt/chaos_calmer/blob/2adad7714eebf89db7471bfd8d014b36c1e56b22/target/linux/ar71xx/image/Makefile#L59