[OpenWrt-Devel] Q: procd: re-evaluation of inittab entries

Yousong Zhou yszhou4tech at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 21:52:20 EST 2018

On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 at 06:00, Michael Heimpold <mhei at heimpold.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently playing with USB gadget stuff. The goal is to run an Ethernet
> link and a console over the USB link. I already selected the relevant kernel
> modules and ACM device and RNDIS device is created on the USB host
> system - all fine so far.
> The ACM device on the USB gadget side is created as /dev/ttyGS0, and
> when I use "echo foobar > /dev/ttyGS0" or "cat /dev/ttyGS0" on USB device
> side with corresponding counterparts on USB host side, then it already works
> like a charme.
> My problem is the inittab: I think the right approach is to add an entry to
> inittab when I want to provide a login console on this tty, so I added:
> ttyGS0::askfirst:/usr/libexec/login.sh
> at the end of my inittab.
> However, during boot ttyGS0 is not yet available - it takes until the
> USB gadget is setup. procd skips this line at boot time.
>
> So my question is: is this the correct approach, or should I use a
> hotplug script to start such a console?

I think we should make it possible to use serial console directly in inittab.

In this case, could it be that the kernel module was only loaded after
parsing inittab and askfirst quitted because it couldn't find the
device?  Please check if that is the case by grepping module name in
/etc/modules-boot.d/ .  Setting boot flag when calling AutoProbe
should fix the issue.

                yousong