[OpenWrt-Devel] WiFi client mode leaves router inaccessible if upstream network goes down

Luke Ross luke at lukeross.name
Sat Feb 4 16:13:00 EST 2017

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 03, 2017 at 06:17:58PM -0600, Nick Malyon wrote:

> I have a TP-Link TL-MR3020 v1.9 with Chaos Calmer 15.05.01. I'm using it to
> provide a WiFi access point to my phone/tablet while I travel, and it's
> acting as a WiFi client for the various hostels I visit.
>
> If you configure it as a wifi client with a wwan interface using the LuCI
> scan/join wizard, and then you configure a wifi access point on the same
> radio, the router works as expected and when you connect to the router's AP,
> you get Internet via the client connection.
>
> However, if you move out of range of the network the router is a client of,
> or if it goes down, when you power off the OpenWrt router and power back on,
> the access point won't come up.

I've hit exactly the same issue with an MR3040 - it appears the router is all
good apart from the AP which won't come up. I've not got to the bottom of why,
but I've set the slide switch to enable/disable the wifi client so at least I
can recover easily (and it also allows me to reconfigure the ethernet from lan
to wan depending on position).

https://github.com/jefferyto/openwrt-slide-switch makes using the slide switch
super-easy. The button script I've hooked up to the wifi position is at
https://github.com/lukeross/OpenWRT-Config/blob/master/MR3040/etc/rc.button/mode-wisp

With regards,

Luke