[OpenWrt-Devel] boot-wrapper-aarch64.git repository missing/inaccessible; cannot build arm64 targets

Alexander Duff amd435 at drexel.edu
Thu Sep 22 20:46:12 EDT 2016

On 09/22/2016 08:26 PM, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> On 09/22/2016 02:38 PM, Alexander Duff wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> The quick version: a repository (boot-wrapper-aarch64.git) required for
>> the default build of arm64 OpenWrt targets (default configuration) on
>> the latest version of trunk seems to have disappeared from the Internet,
>> and I'm unsure who to notify or how to proceed.  Furthermore, I can't
>> seem to find anyone else reporting this issue or even talking about it
>> and I can't understand why this isn't being reported anywhere, making me
>> paranoid that I somehow messed up (which has been known to happen) or
>> missed some announcement.
> How about we use this copy:
>
> https://github.com/artagnon/boot-wrapper-aarch64
>
> or this one:
>
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/mark/boot-wrapper-aarch64.git/
>
> or even better, create a profile for the Foundation v8 simulator, for
> which this boot wrapper is necessary, if you are using qemu, there is no
> need for that.
Yes, incidentally, my intention was to run this under qemu, anyway.

Yesterday, a friend of mine found the second one while sanity checking
that the original really was unavailable.  Notably, it was created three
days ago, probably due to the original being unavailable.  I was
reticent to just replace the original one for various reasons, but after
asking this, I changed line 15 in
~/openwrt/target/linux/arm64/image/boot-wrapper/Makefile from:

    PKG_SOURCE_URL:=git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/cmarinas/boot-wrapper-aarch64.git

to:

    PKG_SOURCE_URL:=git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mark/boot-wrapper-aarch64.git

I did a build and it succeeded.  I don't know if the original is gone
for good or if this is the official new home for this repository, but
would it be worth patching that Makefile to use the (currently) working
repository?

My problem's solved locally, but I don't know how big of an issue this
is for others.

Thanks for the reply,

-Alex