[OpenWrt-Devel] Github and selfhosted divergent histories

Kevin Azzam kevin at netsat.se
Tue Jul 26 06:40:37 EDT 2016

Hello folks,

I have some questions about the github move.

The git histories of the selfhosted repository [0] and that of the github
repository [1] are currently divergent (first commits are 753606a [2] and
1427738 [3] respectively -- same timestamp, different authors).

Moving forward, which repository should we take as "canon"? ie, which
repository
is it preferred to code against? The documentation refers to different
repos in
various locations: e.g. this [4] refers the self hosted url [0] but [5]
refers
to the github url [1] (but only for trunk, not for the other branches)

I'm maintaining a fork for personal use and I'd like to know if I should
cherrypick my changes unto the github upstream or not (otherwise rebasing
in the
future may be increasingly problematic -- right now, it would take quite a
while
to rebase and I think it would replay/reapply the whole history, i.e. each
commit would be there twice, so all my commits should be cherrypicked
instead)

Ideally, the history would not diverge, but I'm assuming there was a good
reason
to do so (cleaning up author names/emails + ...?).

Basically, I would like to know the following:

1. Should we indeed move to github and consider that as upstream from now
on?
2. Are there plans on merging the histories, or are you comfortable with the
fact that they diverge and intend on keeping it that way?
    If it's a mistake, then I shouldn't "take the plunge" and cherrypick
against
    github if that's indeed going to again change in the future.
3. Is there an, or can we have an "official stance" on this? I assume it
is/will
be confusing for many others as well, so some some sort of official
guideline
would be helpful.

Reference: Announcement of the github move:
https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2016-June/041857.html
[0]: https://git.openwrt.org/openwrt.git
[1]: git://github.com/openwrt/openwrt.git (or
https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt.git)
[2]: https://git.openwrt.org/openwrt.git?p=openwrt.git;a=commit;h=753606a
[3]: https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/commit/1427738
[4]: https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/buildroot.exigence