[OpenWrt-Devel] Apologies

Daniel Dickinson openwrt at daniel.thecshore.com
Sun Jan 10 21:46:45 EST 2016

On 10/01/16 06:15 PM, Sami Olmari wrote:
> It might seem smallest of problems, but whitespace problems really
> causes an problems many times... "half of" stuff rely on correct

You're right, and I think the reason I overreacted is that I have been
subconsciously frustrated for quite some time by how much a problem
dealing with whitespace has become.  It's one of those things that was
not supposed to matter, but too many projects (even historically, e.g.
make) decided to break.

It's really whitespace *issues* I hate and not John's attempt to
mitigate them by insisting on whitespace.  That combined with not having
had a decent configuration for being able to visually see whitespace
issues, really created a no-win situation.

It just all came to head last night.

> spaces/spacing and so on, what takes spaces, what takes tabulator (take
> python for example), this is one reason why folks are quite anal about
> it. It's not because the looks, but because it makes the world of
> diffirence in situations, we like it or not... And after all, we all
> want the code to be perfect, don't we? Even if it oftentimes means to
> sound like jackass...

Yeah, and it's not really being a jackass, even if it may feel like it
sometimes, it's that the situation sucks, really, really badly.

Unfortunately it's often too easy to react to the front-line person,
because they're the visible aspect of the problem, when the real issue
is a whole system of things that you can't really fight; it's the same
reason people get into anti-establishment politics - there are some
serious flaws that are hard to deal with (and far too many people don't
want to even acknowledge, because they're hard problems to solve and
there is tendency to just give up and pursue self-interest).

John did the right thing, I just took it badly, in part due to person
issues, and partly due to building internalized frustration with
whitespace issues, that I hadn't even realized I had.

Regards,

Daniel