[OpenWrt-Devel] SVN to GIT transition

Javier Domingo Cansino javierdo1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 16:02:42 EDT 2015

> Would it be possible to track the revision number in an automated way even
> in a git repo?  So store the r number, and automatically increment on
> commits.  Not sure if that's an option, but it seems like it might address
> the problem.

In git you wouldn't need such thing, the way would be to track the forking
point comparing the user history with the upstream master history, and
describing the path. The oneliner I sent before (which I now realize I
split in two), did (or will do) the following.

2) Find the forking point between upstream and user branch if any, save
current commit if not such fork exists as $parent.
3) count how many commits are from $tag commit to $parent commit, save it
as $parent_n
3) If fork exists, count how many commits from $parent to HEAD, save it as
$commit_n
4) If tree is dirty, save $dirty='-dirty', else $dirty=''

compose the build version info as the following:

$tag-$parent_n-$parent-$commit_n-$parent$dirty