[OpenWrt-Devel] SVN to GIT transition

Jonathan Bennett jbscience87 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 15:21:16 EDT 2015

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 2:11 PM David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Oct 2015, Felix Fietkau wrote:

> figure
> report
> might be
> has to
> lots of

> tags

> (full
> reason.
> >>>

> >> IMO git describe --dirty would work perfectly. You would see a short
> >> hash and if user modified it or not.
> > If the user made a local commit, the short hash becomes useless.
>
> if the user does a SVN checkout and then modifies things, the r<number> is
> also
> not valid (although it does give you an idea where things branched)
>
> David Lang

His point is that users don't ever do an SVN checkout. Because the r number
is baked into the image, it's a really easy and obvious way for an end user
to report the revision in a bug report.  I can see the advantage in this.
If we are to move to git, we would want some way to preserve this feature,
that is a super easy way for a user to report the revision.  We could bake
the short hash into the image, but this would not be useful if any commits
were added locally, whereas the r number would still show some useful
information.

Would it be possible to track the revision number in an automated way even
in a git repo?  So store the r number, and automatically increment on
commits.  Not sure if that's an option, but it seems like it might address
the problem.

--Jonathan Bennett